Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Postage Stamp Afghan

This is the afghan pattern that my MIL used to use all the time. We have six of these postage stamp afghans. After my MIL's heart attack, we found copies of the instructions in her craft room. They are very hard to read.

Here is the little afghan that my MIL made for Cheryl's dolls. Each of the little squares is 1"x1":

I know the pattern starts in the middle with a strip of "postage stamps." Then, it's worked out and around from the center. Here is where I think the afghan starts:

Here is what the backside of the afghan looks like:

Here is one of the larger afghans made by my MIL for our bed:

I've googled and can't find the instructions for this pattern anywhere!

--edited--
Found it!
http://mylifeinknots.blogspot.com/search?q=my+first+afghan

8 comments:

  1. This is a pattern I have never seen before. Looks like it is very time consuming to make them. I will keep my eyes open for directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made hundreds of these thru the years. I am on my third one ( queen size) since Oct 1, 2013. Very simple and fast too make....

      Delete
  2. I have NEVER seen this pattern either! I wonder if it is one she created? It kind of looks like the same kind of stitch that I use when I make dishclothes. I too would love to find the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks amazingly detailed and difficult. LOL!! So pretty, though. Good luck finding the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joni this is BEAUTIFUL!!! Good luck finding the directions.. it is funny I can find it written about but no patterns.. sorry I tried for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those afghans are beautiful! "Postage Stamp Afghan" is one of the patterns in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Artsy-Afghans-Leisure-Arts-4592/dp/160140462X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you ever find this pattern? My Mom has a sample but is not sure she can remember how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Phyllis! I did find the pattern at one time.

    ReplyDelete